Is there anything better than cake for breakfast? Especially a coffee cake so today we will see how to make coffee cake. So, Grab a cup of coffee and get ready for the best coffee cake ever! Soft vanilla cake with a sweet cinnamon layer inside topped with buttery crumb topping!
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g Butter
- 3 large eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (add more if you like it strong) dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g Butter
- 1 ½ tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- Strawberry jam (optional)
- Walnuts or cherries, to decorate
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line and grease 2 x 18cm sandwich tins. Add the sugar and butter to a bowl and mix until very fluffy and pale.
- Whisk the eggs in a mug with a fork, then add them gradually to the mixture with 1 tbsp of flour each time. (Make sure you don’t use all the flour.) When the eggs have been fully combined into the mix, add the rest of the flour and the baking powder and fold it in gently.
- Add the dissolved coffee to the mixture, still folding. Divide into the sandwich tins and cook for 25-30 min until risen and firm and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Can be frozen at this stage.
- Meanwhile make the icing by beating the icing sugar with the butter until light and fluffy, then add the dissolved coffee. Whisk then cover and put to one side until ready to ice the cake.
- Once the sponges have completely cooled, spread half the icing on the bottom of one (leaving around half for the top) and spread the strawberry jam on the bottom of the other, if using. Sandwich together, spread the remaining icing on top. Decorate with walnuts, or cherries if you prefer.
PRO TIP: For How to make Coffee Cake Make sure that once this cake is cut you cover it AIRTIGHT immediately, as it can dry out quickly. I like to use Press and Seal plastic wrap, and press it down directly over the cake, and then covering the entire pan again with foil!
I feel like I have crammed all the things that you would ever want in a coffee cake into my recipe. What you have is a dense, but moist, buttery cake with a layer of sweet cinnamon filling baked in the middle. The whole cake is topped with a buttery, cinnamon crumb topping and then drizzled with a sweet icing glaze. No cake mix is involved in this recipe, it is a from-scratch-baked-with-love kinda vibe, and you are going to LOVE it.
The cake itself is a dense, yet still fluffy texture with a buttery, vanilla flavor. The whole cake has a thick layer of cinnamon sugar filling baked in the middle, which, with the addition of flour, stays thick and doesn’t melt into the cake, which is amazing.
If you like our recipe then please do visit our Facebook page, YouTube channel & Instagram Account for more such type of exciting healthy recipes. This How to make coffee cake idea was submitted by Sid Roy from Mumbai, India. If you want to send us your suggestions please write it on the comment section below. Send us your healthy & exciting recipe on our mail id and we will feature it on our blog, Thank You
Fancy Bakers is a Vadodara base bakery that provides you the most delicious desserts of all time. We are specialized in making Birthday cakes & Waffles. Our moto is to provide you Cakes that makes everlasting memories.